Meet the Board: Ben

September 5, 2019 2:54 pm

Ben Markus
APA Communications Chair, 2019-2020
Project Manager, Project Management Office, University of Florida Information Technology

• What brought you to UF? • I came to UF for graduate school in 2009 and studied journalism. After graduating, I worked in sports, traveled around the country pretty extensively, and was seeking a more permanent “home base” when UF hired me to be a communications specialist. I’ve been back in Gainesville and working full-time for UF since November of 2016.
  • What makes you proud to work at UF? ? I appreciate that the entire university is on a collective mission. Right now the mission is to become a top-5 national university, and when that’s achieved, I’m sure the goal will shift to top-3 or #1 university in the country. I’m proud to lend my work to that effort. I also work with – and for – tremendous role models in my current position within UFIT. Our collective achievements continue to make me proud to work at UF.
  • Favorite UF tradition or moment: I’ve created a tradition of going to the gym – or Satchel’s – during Gator Football games. I suppose this is giving away my secret, but sometimes I really love being where everyone else isn’t.
  • Favorite thing to do in Gainesville: I always want to be outside here, so I am often exploring running trails (rungainesville.wordpress.com was my master’s thesis project and has lots of tips on where to run). One of my favorite things to do “in” Gainesville is actually to get out of town and go find beautiful natural areas. Having a kayak or SUP handy always helps!
  • What led to your involvement with in APA, and what have you learned due to your involvement?  I find myself working with many of the same individuals time and time again, so I joined the APA to get to know more of my colleagues and more areas of campus. Through my involvement, I’ve learned – as I have of Gainesville – that there is so much more than meets the eye at the university. There are an endless amount of roles, organizations and ways to get involved.