Meet the board: Krista

May 9, 2019 3:36 pm

Krista Vaught
APA President, 2019-2020
Director, Academic Strategic Initiatives & Compliance, Levin College of Law

• What brought you to UF? I completed my bachelor’s degree at UF in 2006, and could not wait to escape – Gainesville felt so small! I moved to D.C. and loved the bigger city and multitude of opportunities. Ironically, I stumbled upon a job posting at UF in 2013, applied, and was offered the role. I came back to UF simply because it is UF, and I wanted to contribute to our mission on a higher level than just an alum.
  • What makes you proud to work at UF? We have such talented faculty and students (which shows in our rankings and reputation), but staff are equally as talented, motivated, and interesting! I’ve met many staff who are so passionate about their roles here, and dedicated to UF’s mission.
  • Favorite UF tradition or moment: Although this is really a compilation of moments, the Gator Nation is my favorite part of UF. When I travel and wear something with UF’s logo or gator on it, I always run into someone with a connection to UF – even if that just means we high five or exchange a “Go Gators!” When I lived in D.C., the D.C. Gator Club felt like a home away from home. The Gator Nation is everywhere.
  • What’s something you wish you had known as a new staff member? There are so many exciting things going on across campus, it can be difficult to stay in the loop. I wish I had become more involved with APA earlier, even if it meant stepping out of my comfort zone to network and make connections across campus.
  • Favorite thing to do in Gainesville: I heard people talk about all of the outdoorsy things to do – and definitely agree! There are several (low-key) hiking trails and places to kayak and swim, and the sunset at Payne’s Prairie is pretty spectacular. I’m happy to chat and give suggestions! We’re also two hours or less from several larger cities. 🙂