Meet the Board: Deanna

Published: April 28th, 2020

Deanna Nelson, M.S. EmpL, PHR, SHRM-CP
APA Board Member 2019-2020
Faculty Relations Coordinator | UFHR Faculty Relations

What brought you to UF?
I am a Florida native and have lived in Gainesville most of my life. Along with a wide variety of job opportunities, and having exposure to witnessing profound & evolutionary research, UF is a very exciting organization to work for and I knew I could have an awesome career path here.

What makes you proud to work at UF?
My role in UF HR Faculty Relations supports a positive impact on society and the Gator nation. I have an opportunity to experience the workforce of the future, extraordinary groundwork of our prestigious faculty, and a wide range of phenomenal research happening right here at UF. All of which is a humbling and stimulating observation which makes me proud to work at UF.

What’s your favorite UF moment or tradition?
A favorite UF moment for me was in October 2017, during one of UFs most controversial times, when our most respected leader, Dr. Fuchs, courageously displayed true honor, value, and concern by urging us to make our voice of love and support heard to strengthen and encourage our diverse UF community. I was most proud to be a part of the Gator nation when during this time, he authorized the UF Century Tower to play “Lift Every Voice and Sing”.

What’s your favorite thing to do in Gainesville?
My most favorite things to do in Gainesville are spending quality time with my family, friends, and precious grandchildren. Along with restaurant hopping, I love visiting the Butterfly Rainforest and FL Museum of Natural History with my grandchildren – they really enjoy the assortment of exhibits.

What led you to involvement within APA, and what have you learned due to your involvement?
When newly hired at UF, I attended an APA event with a co-worker and was excited to see a team of UF staff working “together” to help support, enrich, and provide opportunities for staff to feel inclusive. Since this time, I have eagerly participated in APA events and have happily joined the APA team as a board representative to serve, foster, and support the learning, development, and professional networking opportunities provided by APA.

During my attendance at any of the APA professional development opportunities, I have gained an immeasurable amount of knowledge that will help me on my career path. I am forever grateful.

Comments are currently closed.