Meet the Board: Abel

December 5, 2019 1:23 pm

Abel Gilbert
APA Board Member 2018-2020
Development Coordinator | University of Florida College of Dentistry

• What brought you to UF? Originally, I came to UF from the Tampa Bay Area to pursue my bachelor’s degree. I couldn’t refuse an opportunity at the state’s leading institution!

• What makes you proud to work at UF? A tie among reputation, community, and opportunities. I came to UF for my undergraduate studies in 2009, and I found a home-away-from-home in the Gator Nation. Upon graduating, I was hired in an inaugural position within one of the top dental schools in the country, and I have had so many opportunities for professional and personal growth through my work experience on its own. In 2018, I started my graduate education through the Hough Graduate School of Business – an opportunity made possible by boss’s flexibility and the university’s Employee Education Program (EEP). Through each distinct chapter of my time at UF, I have witnessed the extent to which the university provides resources and support to learn and grow and to help others learn and grow through mentorship and involvement.

• Favorite UF tradition or moment? In terms of memorable, in 2010, I was part of the Hispanic Student Association court, and had the opportunity to be a part of the UF Homecoming Parade.

• Favorite thing to do in Gainesville? Explore new restaurants and cuisines. In doing so, I find that I discover new cultures within the city.

• What led to your involvement with the APA, and what have you learned through your involvement? I was initially recommended by the college’s Director of Communications as a result of my collaborations with colleagues throughout the college. I had heard of programming through APA, so having the chance to contribute to the think tanks and discussions really rounds out my experience at UF.